Stewart Blenkinsop was educated at Stanhope Road School from 1917 to 1924,
following which he attended Westoe Secondary School from 1924 to 1930.
A year after leaving school, he went to Bede College, Durham. He didn't gain
a degree, but did come out with his Board of Education Teaching Certificate. Armed
with this, he joined the staff of Stanhope Road Boys' School from August 1933
through to August 1940, during which time he took four months in 1938 to attend Sheffield
Training College, where he completed the Board of Education Course for Teachers
It was in August 1940, that he went on five years of War Service, returning to what
was now Stanhope Road County Secondary School for Boys in November, 1945.
The following year, in September 1946, he joined the South
Shields High School for Boys, replacing Mrs Bell, and
teaching music and scripture. But he stayed only a little
over a year - at the end of 1947 to left to teach the same
subjects at one of the new Emergency Training Colleges
in Freckleton, Lancashire, that had been set up by the Ministry of Education for the emergency recruitment and training of teachers to meet post-war needs.
He later became headmaster of Horsley
Hill Junior Boys' School.
Stewart Blenkinsop was a well-known character in South Shields, particularly in the
musical world. He was musical director of The Grosvenor Singers, and took an
active part in the South Shields Amateur Operatic Society (more commonly known
in the town as "The Amateus") where he was Secretary, Musical Director and
then Honorary President. He was also conducted the South Shields Gilbert &
Sullivan Society and The Georgian Singers