Jimmy Emerson was a student of the South Shields High School from 1928 to
He didn't go to university straight away, instead taking a substitute teacher's post
at Mortimer Road Senior Boys' School, from August 1933 to July 1935.
It wasn't until 1936 that he took a place at Armstrong College, University
of Durham, where he read Geology and Geography (with Mathematics, Physics and Botany
as subsidiary subjects), staying on an extra year to gain his teacher's certificate.
A few years after leaving university, in 1946, he was appointed to the Stanhope
Road County Secondary Boys' School , where he stayed only a year, leaving in 1947
to join the staff of the South Shields High School for Boys where eventually
he became Head of the Intermediate Department.
He was, by the accounts of many old boys, a very intimidating character and was known by many to be a very aggressive caner of boys' backsides.
In September, 1970, he became Deputy
Head on the retirement of Alf Headley.