CW Jefferson left Sunderland's Bede Collegiate School in 1905, and in 1908
started a period of 5 years at Sunderland Technical College. He then went on
to gain his Board of Education Certificate in Mechanical Engineering in 1915, and
returned to the Sunderland Technical College on a series of part-time course
from 1918. He left in 1922 with his National Certificate in Mechanical Engineering.
While continuing his part-time education, first at the Jarrow Central School
from 1925 to 1928, and then at a Summer School in Chester, he was teaching at the
Jarrow Juvenile Centre for a year from 1925, Mortimer Road Elementary
from 1926 to 1930, and Baring Street Elementary from 1930 to 1932.
During this time he gained his City and Guilds in Metalwork, Woodwork and Mechanical
Engineering, as well as a Diploma of the College of Handicraft, EHA Certificate in
Handwork and his Board of Examination in Art (at Armstrong College).
With all these qualifications, he moved to the South Shields High School in
April, 1932, where he stayed through the move to Harton and eventually retired in