"Jewie" Watson (a nickname derived from his initials)
went to Westoe Secondary School from 1923 to 1930,
and then on to Armstrong College, where in 1933 he
was awarded a BSc in Physics and Chemistry (with Maths and
Biology as subsidiary subjects). He did a graduate teaching
year, and in 1934 got his Diploma in the Theory and Practice
On leaving university, he took up his first teaching post
at Dean Road Senior Boys' School in South Shields.
In 1940, he left for six years to go on War Service, and he
returned to the school in 1946. In 1950 he took up his post
at the South Shields High School for Boys.
He taught Physics and Chemistry, and whenever a boy forgot
his units, he would add "carrots" in red in the
He stayed at the school until around 1957, but it is not
recorded where he went at this point.